COLLINGWOOD coach Nathan Buckley says the Magpies are “absolutely committed” to Chris Mayne as the prized recruit continues to struggle at his new club.
The former Docker signed a four-year deal with Collingwood reported to be worth about $ 2 million after being signed as a free agent during last year’s exchange period but has not played an AFL game since Round 3.
RELATED: MAYNE DEAL LOOMS AS A BUST
AFL DAILY: ALL THE LATEST FOOTY NEWS IN ONE PLACE
The 28-year-old kicked one goal in each of his first two matches before being dropped after a goalless performance against Sydney.
Mayne has since kicked just nine goals from seven VFL games but booted four goals from 13 touches in his last outing in an encouraging performance.
“Mayne’s not going as well as we thought he might, he’s taking longer to settle,” Buckley told Channel 9’s Footy Classified on Monday night.
“I’m coaching Mayney the same way I’m coaching every other player on the list to try and get the best out of them.
“We’re absolutely committed to Chris Mayne and finding out what his best football can be. He’ll have a say in that and the quality of football and the player he’s competing against for the same position will have a say in that.”
Collingwood chief executive Gary Pert said in April that the club’s list management panel “unanimously decided” on any players being viewed to bring into the club.
Buckley said he was part of that group but added, “Dollars aren’t a big part of that, it’s more about what sort of talent you’re looking for”.
Collingwood sits 13th on the ladder with a 5-7 record heading into a clash with Port Adelaide at the MCG on Saturday.